The giveSPORTS program provides new and gently-used sports equipment to disadvantaged and displaced children by allowing them the opportunity to get involved in organized sports. Additionally, giveSPORTS provides scholarships to cover the costs of registration and other sports-related fees. Nearly 75 percent of children in low-income families rarely have the opportunity to participate in organized sports. Statistically, participation in extra-curricular sports significantly impacts short and long-term educational, emotional, behavioral, and physical outcomes for disadvantaged, poverty stricken youth.
Kids in Colorado need your help!
Drop off any new or gently-used sports equipment! giveSPORTS will give your donations a new life in the hands of children in need at our Resource Center at 557 Burbank St. Unit E, Broomfield, CO 80020.
Marcelo Balboa is a retired professional soccer player, elected to both the Colorado and the National Soccer Hall of Fame. Marcelo played in three World Cups and was the first U.S. player to break the 100-cap barrier. Presently, Marcelo is the Executive Director of Trebol Soccer Club and still enjoys playing soccer on a regular basis.
Bill McCartney, "Coach Mac," was the head football coach at the University of Colorado from 1982 to 1994. Coach Mac, during his 12 years, has a 93-55-5 record, three consecutive Big Eight Conference titles, and a national championship. He has received several national coaching awards and was named Big Eight Coach of the Year three times during his career.
Irv Brown, Colorado Sports Hall of Fame and Denver's "go-to-guy" for everything sports. Irv is undoubetly a Colorado sports legend and currently co-hosts the 'Irv and Joe Show' on Mile High Sports Radio.
- Stan Garnett, District Attorney of Boulder and Ambassador of giveSPORTS says: "The giveSPORTS program provides a path to healthy living, good citizenship, and deters children from entering the criminal justice system.
- Michael King, Chair of the giveSPORTS Committee and COO of Inversoft said, "I'm involved with giveSPORTS because I think all kids deserve an opportunity to play organized sports no matter their family circumstances. I've seen the difference sports can make in the lives of disadvantaged kids and this program has made a significant impact here in Colorado.
- Michael knew that football season was coming up. This year, however, he wasn't looking forward to the season because he would have to ask his coach for equipment. To his knowledge, he was the only player on his team who used what he looked at as his teams "leftovers". Michael’s father had lost his job early last year. Never having been in a situation where they needed to ask for help, his family struggled to regain stability. Luckily, Michael's coach was aware of A Precious Child's giveSPORTS program and quickly referred Michael and his family to us! Not only did Michael's family receive free clothing, but Michael was able to find football pads and cleats! Michael later told us that he felt confident going to practice on the first day because he was able to be just like everyone else.
- 10 year-old Jay has played football for the past three years. He loves his coach and his teammates were some of his best friends. His world was turned upside down when his mother had the strength to leave Jay’s abusive father. Alone and unemployed, she was left to fend for herself and four boys. The last thing on her mind was the costs association with Jay’s football team. giveSPORTS was able to provide a full scholarship for Jay along with sports equipment. Jay is so excited to join his teammates at pre-season camp, while his mom is able to focus on taking care of the family.
- The 11 children on the Denver PAL baseball team had worked hard to raise money for the upcoming season’s registration fees. The families were proud to pay the coach two week prior to the season opener, only to have the money stolen from the coach’s car. A distressed father, who had just been referred to A Precious Child for clothing, recalled the story without expectation. Fortunately, giveSPORTS was able to help! giveSPORTS sponsored the entire U12 baseball team! They were so grateful that they had the giveSPORTS logo printed on each and every jersey.